Sunday, May 13, 2012

ROMA!


Hello friends! I am already hopelessly in love with the city of Rome. Unfortunately, I cannot put any pictures onto this lovely blog with this computer I am currently using, so you will have to continue to wait ever so patiently. But here's a brief update.

Flight: Long.
Jet Lag: Not as bad as I thought it would be.
Apartment: Charming, cute, Italian.
Italian words learned: A few. Mostly useless ones like ticket, chocolate, fire extinguisher... But going through the grocery store is getting easier.
Drivers: Crazy.
Number of vespas in the city: Endless.
Number of people that can fit into a single metro car or bus: No limit.
Number of ambulance/police sirens I've seen/heard since arriving: 27 and counting.
Number of pastries bought and eaten: Nine. It's fine.
Sunburns: Three. One on top of another.
Sandal tanlines: Best I've ever had after only one day.
Sites seen: Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Plaza de Popolo, Plaza Navona, Vatican Museun, St. Peter's, the Forum, Colosseum, Palatine, Marcella Theater, US Embassy (when a friend had her passport stolen and I went to help her get it replaced) and various other churches, temples, and buildings in various states of beautiful decay. The sites are breathtaking. I had not idea I would enjoy Greek vases, Etruscan figurines, marble floors or crumbling columns so much.
Favorite part of the city so far: There are fountains everywhere. Fountains to look at, and fountains to drink from, and they have the best water in the city. They are constantly pouring water, so it's always fresh and cold. All you do is plug the hole with your hand so it squirts up at you and you can drink it or put your water bottle undereath. It's absolutely brilliant.
Tired?: Yes. Yes I am. But it's worth it.

That's all for now - hopefully I can share some of these crazy amazing pictures I am taking soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment