
I once heard a story about a young woman who was really struggling with trials in her life. Discouraged one particular evening after leaving campus, she was prompted to continue walking past her dorm inside of going inside. Soon she found herself at the doors of the Provo Temple.
There sat a young man with his face in his hands, obviously deeply upset about something. She was prompted to go sit with him. Not wanting to disturb him, she ignored the prompting and began walking around the building. The prompting did not go away, so she resolved that if he was still there as she came around the front of the building, she would go sit with him.
The young man was still sitting on his bench as she rounded her last corner, so she gathered her courage to go sit by him. When she sat beside him, he began talking about his own trials. As he did so, her own trials began to seem small and insignificant. And as she listened, he found the relief he needed in talking to someone. By listening to the spirit they found each other and were able to give each other what they needed.
Recently I found myself very upset by some circumstances and after considering my options, realized I had nowhere I really wanted to go and nobody I wanted to talk to about it. I remembered this story and made my way to the temple grounds. I thought to myself, "That girl found someone to talk to at the temple. I will find someone too."
I chose a bench near the fountains and watched all the little young marrieds out for their afternoon strolls. I felt inspired to call someone and did so. There I sat, trying to communicate fully my situation, futilely trying to wipe my runny nose and wet cheeks with the back of my hand. And then cautiously approached an attractive young man, his toes appeared on the ground in my field of vision, and I glanced up to see his offering of a stack of tissues. I gratefully accepted his offering. He began to walk away, stopped, came back and said, "Are you alright?" I said yes, thank you, and he left.
So I got someone to talk to and a young man sent. (If only I'd had the nerve to ask him to stay...he was cute!) Long story short, the Lord loves us, and He provides. I know it seems like a silly story, but it meant something to me. I went to the temple with the faith that I would get the help I needed. And I did - in a slightly different way. But the fact that this person answered their phone was a slight miracle, and my dear friend with the tissues was just what I needed. We are watched over and taken care of. That is something I know for a fact.
No comments:
Post a Comment