Day 2 began with a searing headache that naturally I forgot to take any meds for before leaving my humble abode. Thus most of class one (Theory and Methodology) was lost to bleary eyes and ringing bells. But from what I did gather, the teacher seems great, the class sounds like a lot of reading, and Trent from German is in the class.
Loooong intermission for lunch - two and a half hours that I will hopefully be able to go to work during because it was waaaay too long to be chilling on campus. I did some sun-soaking, met up with Graden for lunch, and started memorizing German verbs.
Next class finally showed up: Early Christian and Byzantine Art. And despite the teacher's boring reputation, I found it all rather fascinating. Nobody appreciates the early Christian or byzantine art. But the history and reasonings surrounding it are really quite interesting. I think I can manage to enjoy the class.
Back home I wasted some time doing things like this. Finally took some meds for my aching head. Set in on the first round of reading for HoP. Holy cow! These pages are sooooo long! Oh yeah. Homework. This is why nobody likes school. If I could just go to class and listen and take notes, I could love it. But I'm way too easily distracted to read a couple hundred pages each night. Needless to say, I promptly fell asleep. The good news is, said nap conquered the headache that has persisted since yesterday evening. The bad news is, now I'm awake again, desperately craving a danish, one more hour of my day wasted, and I still have to read. Sigh.
Some thoughts from campus today: Why are there so many people?! Yesterday as I walked around I had to remind myself I was going to class and not to pick an upholstery job or install some blinds. I got quite used to the emptiness of campus this summer. Today I focused on relearning how to walk fast and cleverly dodge every other mindlessly driven, auto-pilot student crowding the square and walkways between buildings without slowing down. It's an art I've decided. An art one begins learning in the wee young'n days of junior high. A few more days and I'll be able to do it while texting.
The funny thing about BYU is you come across scenes you wouldn't find on any other campus. Everywhere you look there's a couple holding hands, someone pushing a stroller, a group of preschoolers, couples kissing, and on a good day, someone proposing. Everything about this school screams courtship, marriage, love. But, when schooled in the art of people dodging AND PDA avoiding, one can observe many other interesting sights that are not so unique to BYU. I wish I had a camera in my hand for every stroll across campus - people are fascinating! The professor with the red and black polka dot tie, the group of freshman who've found each other for a picnic lunch on a lawn, the man with the fanny pack, the older woman returning to school determined to dress like the rest of the younger students...If I had nothing better to do, I would travel the country, sit in on random campuses, and people stalk with my telephoto lens.
Ok. I'm sorry. I'm done pretending to be philosophical. I've got three more classes to read for and some German to translate. I'll be sure to update tomorrow after my last first day - tomorrow I have my studio techniques class! And since I hate posting without pictures, here are some people stalking pictures from when I was very bored at Ashlee's graduation.
No comments:
Post a Comment