This is where I've been, and will continue to be for the next 24 hours:
I love writing research papers.
End of the semester = writing ten page research papers in eight hours or less, going to bed at twelve and getting up at six, paying extra money to print your paper at the most convenient place possible, pulling staples out of old assignments because you don't have enough time to go find an actual stapler, failing one test because it was a total joke and you didn't have hours to spend studying for it, blowing off another because you didn't do your reading (and never do) and the made up answers sounded better anyway, wasting time, procrastinating, cramming, eating what's left in the cupboards...
Today in Modern Art we started discussing Surrealism. In case you're hankering for a good dose of Surrealism, I suggest you search Disney/Dali Destino on YouTube. It might give you the willies. I watched it in the middle of the night for a paper. Anyway...we discussed this piece, so cleverly surreal in that the viewer is forced to question what exactly it is they are looking at - it looks like a pipe, but then it's not a physical pipe, or is it really even a picture of a pipe at all. What is that darn thing?!
To encourage the discussion and force the students to think, the teacher said, "Is this a real pipe? Could you smoke that thing?" Then he paused. "Well, if you rolled it up ... I guess you could smoke anything if you really wanted to..." Amusing how often drugs come up in this class? Probably. Anything for the sake of great art.

No comments:
Post a Comment