This week, I invite my South Korean roommate, Heather, home to have dinner with my family. It was an "on" Sunday, which means ALL the family came home for dinner. Heather is an only child. Needless to say, it was much more crowded and noisy than she is used to. At first I wasn't sure if it was a good idea, just because it would be so crowded and noisy and I didn't know if I could keep up a conversation long enough for her to feel comfortable. But I'm SO glad I did. We had fun! My family was very kind to her and asked her questions. She loved dinner, and on the way home we stopped by to visit my Grandma who also made her feel very welcome.
Here's the point of the story. At the end of the night, Heather was thanking me for the evening. She said Sundays are the hardest for her - the days she misses her family the most - and she liked not being by herself in the apartment. I realized that having her over today made Sunday not as hard for me - I was thinking about someone else and not how bad I miss my friend.
I decided maybe days like today should occur more often. Maybe we started a tradition.
No comments:
Post a Comment